Hornets Sports & Entertainment is looking for a current law student to serve as its intern for the Legal Affairs department. This internship is intended to be a comprehensive, hands-on experience in which the successful candidate will receive a first-hand look at (i) how a professional sports team and entertainment venue functions, and (ii) the day-to-day issues and obstacles that must be navigated by in-house counsel. No day will be the same and each day will bring a new and exciting challenge. The candidate should have just completed the first year of law school, having demonstrated excellence in his/her coursework to be considered for an internship opportunity with Hornets Sports & Entertainment (Charlotte Hornets, Spectrum Center and Greensboro Swarm) (the “Company”). The candidate must have a flexible schedule and be willing to work non-traditional office hours.
This is a non-paid internship and requires the individual to be eligible to receive academic credit. The candidate will need to be in the office 20-40 hours per week, plus events.
The Summer 2019 program runs from May 29, 2019 to August 9, 2019.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Draft and review a variety of agreements pertaining to premium ticket sales and suite licenses, sponsorships, software as a service, general commercial matters (arena security, sanitation, auxiliary aids, fan engagement evaluation, bomb detection k-9 services, etc.), the license of intellectual property, image waivers, liability releases, etc.
- Research, consider and analyze relevant sections of the NBA Operations Manual and any relevant statutory law as needed, and advise lines of business accordingly.
- Assist the Assistant General Counsel and General Counsel with routine administrative tasks including, but not limited to, managing the Company’s contract database, updating internal files, interfacing with the Company’s insurance brokers, making copies, scanning and faxing, etc.
- Generally assist the Assistant General Counsel with miscellaneous tasks in preparation for the upcoming 2019-2020 NBA pre and regular season.
- Assist with other projects as may be assigned from time to time.
Required Skills, Experience, and Abilities
To be successful in this position, you should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Must be enrolled and pursuing a juris doctorate from an accredited law school and eligible to receive course credit for this internship.
- Great communication skills, exhibits professionalism at all times and is able to multi-task while managing competing priorities.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Ability to research an issue to exhaustion and draft grammatically correct, clear and concise contractual language.
- Able to maintain confidentiality and use discretion when privy to sensitive information
- Strong sense of teamwork
- A passion for professional sports and a “can do” attitude.
- Have the ability to thrive in a fast-paced, deadline driven environment
- Dependability – consistently at work on time, follows instructions, responds to manager’s instructions.