Do you have a passion for working in uncharted territories? Do you follow the latest trends? Do you believe the best ideas emerge by testing and learning? Do you thrive in a fast-paced environment, building a business from scratch? Are you driven for results and thrive in working with others to bring powerful ideas to life? We are looking for driven individuals who are curious in the change around them, know they still have a lot to learn and discover and have the passion and drive to turn ideas into reality!
Under the leadership of the recently appointed President of Innovation, Science, Technology & Mars Edge, these areas of our businesses will focus on strengthening our capabilities related to disruptive innovation, science and technology and continuing to improve our current innovation processes, capabilities and practices. Additionally, Mars Edge is a newly formed global business of Mars, Incorporated with the vision to build nutrition solutions for the 21st century. The enterprise is developing an ecosystem of science backed and consumer led solutions, in partnership with others. The Mars Edge Leadership Team and Investment Committee is currently focused on bringing this vision to life and transitioning it into a growth business.
We are seeking an Assistant General Counsel to support Mars Edge and other Mars Corporate initiatives, such as Mars Research & Development, Mars Advanced Research Institute and the Global Food Safety Center, on all legal matters, transactions and issues globally. As a member of the Mars Edge leadership team, the incumbent will be an entrepreneurial business partner with the necessary functional excellence, business acumen and gravitas mixed with humility to drive globally-aligned legal strategies. Comfortable in dealing with ambiguity and making difficult decisions quickly and decisively based on sound judgment, the incumbent will be expected to provide strategic legal and business support to enable Mars Edge and the other Corporate Initiatives to realize its ambitious agenda, while effectively anticipating and managing legal risks and protecting the Company, its brands and reputation in line with the Mars Five Principles. The incumbent will be a natural influencer, skilled at navigating different cultures and creating collaborative relationships across functions and segments, and with other key stakeholders within Mars’ Legal Department (M&A, Security, Compliance, Intellectual Property, and Marketing Properties).
- Identify, anticipate and prioritize the key legal issues for Mars Edge and the other Corporate Initiatives in partnership with the respective units.
- Be an active and engaged member of the Mars Edge leadership team.
- Provide proactive and strategic legal advice especially on corporate transactional matters in early stage companies, commercial agreements in support of those investments and technology development and licensing matters.
- Understand the key business issues that drive the legal issues in various markets and vice versa and consistently make commercial legal decisions and provide legal advice that supports achievement of business objectives.
- Effectively assess risks and opportunities to mitigate risks and influence business decisions in light of these assessments.
- In partnership with Mars Scientific and Regulatory affairs, provide advice on regulatory matters with a view to supporting the success of new product launches, product benefit and efficacy claims, and other new initiatives across all markets.
- Ensure comprehensive compliance program of Mars Edge including legal compliance training for business unit and fostering the application of the Mars Five Principles.
- Proactively manage legal budget, including managing legal spend in line with internalizing a substantial portion of the legal work currently being performed by external legal advisors and by other internal Mars attorneys especially in areas relating to new initiatives with third parties, product development/launches, new channels/modes of sale, contracts and other commercial matters.
- Support Mars Innovation, Science, Technology & Mars Edge efforts in relation to new laws and regulations impacting the business
Context and Scope
- Experience in leading and negotiating deal structuring, including acquisitions, early stage investments, partnerships, and related commercial agreements in support of these investments.
- Experience in bridging the entrepreneurial/founder-led cultures of early stage companies with multinational corporate cultures, so that the early stage companies get the “best of both worlds.”
- Demonstrated learning agility, including in newly developing business models, technologies and areas of law.
- Working knowledge of route to market and distribution (including internet regulation) and general commercial transactions.
- Ability to issue spot in areas of the law such as intellectual property and, product liability.
- Familiarity with food and drug regulations, dietary supplements and product claims issues.
- Common sense and sound judgment. One who is pragmatic but willing to draw “a line in the sand” when legal compliance or the Mars 5 Principles requires doing so.
- Strong, flexible team player that works to meet both personal and organization goals.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent organization, execution and analytical skills.
- Personal passion for health, nutrition, science and/or technology
- This position will require approximately 50% travel.
Note: May differ from the current job holder’s own skills and experience.
Education & Professional Qualification
- Qualified lawyer in the United States, Canada, U.K., Europe or Australia.
- If American, the candidate should be a member of a state bar in the United States, although it is not necessary for the attorney to be a member of any specific state bar.
- If a non-American, the candidate should be a graduate of an accredited law school and be a professionally qualified lawyer in his or her home country.
- Minimum of 12 plus years of law firm and in-house legal department experience required, ideally in the FMCG, Bio-Tech and/or Food & Beverage Industries. Start-up experience and/or digital health experience is highly desired.
- Global transactions experience (M&A, joint ventures, alliances, global contracts) by training and demonstrated experience.
- Experience working internationally and on cross border, international legal issues.
- Experience in the functional/medical foods area is helpful
- Experience in dealing with food and/or drug regulatory agencies