We are looking for an Assistant General Counsel to join our legal team and support a high-growth business. The best fit for this role will have extensive experience as in-house counsel managing commercial contracting in a fast-paced, high-volume environment. The ideal candidate will be prepared to manage contracting at R1 RCM through resource management and process improvement.
We put a high value on experience in the healthcare and technology industries. In addition, the ideal candidate will have demonstrated the capacity and adaptability to support a wide range of matters with Corporate Operations and Sales teams, including regulatory compliance, intellectual property matters and corporate real estate. You will have demonstrated exceptional customer service and a practical, process-based approach to finding effective solutions for the business. Our legal team is a commercial partner to the business, so we need a team member who shares our focus on collaboration across functional teams. This position requires leadership in a dynamic, often unstructured environment. Expect minimal supervision in a fast-paced environment.
This position will be based in our Chicago headquarters. It is an excellent opportunity for an experienced in-house leader to take on significant responsibility with a business that values your role. You will have the opportunity to work with experienced, collaborative colleagues across the company and take on challenging work from day one. We need someone with a strong sense of intellectual curiosity, the business-focused skills of a project manager, the creativity to produce creative solutions, and a commitment to serving the business. If you are ready to take your in-house legal career to the next level, you may be ready for this position.
- Manage a team of attorneys with responsibility for drafting and negotiating commercial agreements in a fast-paced, high-volume environment.
- Draft and negotiate complex services and technology agreements with healthcare provider clients and subcontractors.
- Design and improve processes to create efficiencies in our sales and contracting processes.
- Lead and supervise legal and non-legal resources to drive business success.
- Effect creative solutions and risk-mitigation opportunities using both a business and a legal skillset.
- Analyze contracts and advise stakeholders regarding issues and risks from a legal perspective, and ensure agreements reflect our services and business needs.
- Seek out opportunities to create scale and leverage in the legal support model with one-to-many tools and templates, effective business processes, and innovative solutions.
- Perform additional services and projects as assigned.
- Law degree and member in good standing of the State Bar of Illinois.
- 10-15 years of work experience in a law firm or in-house. Must have in-house experience working with a national or global business.
- Experience reviewing, drafting and negotiating complex contracts.
- Exposure to and familiarity with the following areas of law: securities, healthcare and federal and state privacy and data protection laws.
- Experience handling contracts and RFPs with government agencies preferred, but not required.
- Exceptional writing, communication, and analytical skills with attention to detail.
- Demonstrated ability to manage competing priorities in a fast-paced demanding environment.
- Willingness to learn the Company’s business and build strong relationships with internal stakeholders.
- Sound business judgment in finding the right balance between legal risks and business goals.
- Limited travel expected (approximately 10%).
- No relocation assistance will be provided.