Viacom is home to premier global media brands that create compelling entertainment content - including television programs, motion pictures, short-form content, games, consumer products, podcasts, live events and social media experiences - for audiences in 183 countries. Viacom's media networks, including Nickelodeon, Nick Jr., MTV, BET, Comedy Central, Paramount Network, VH1, TV Land, CMT, Logo, Channel 5 (UK), Telefe (Argentina), Colors (India) and Paramount Channel, reach approximately 4.3 billion cumulative television subscribers worldwide.
As the Associate Counsel, Anti-Piracy, you will be a key facilitator of Viacom's anti-counterfeiting operations for the Global Consumer Products portfolio, as well as the Mobile Apps and Games Anti-Piracy enforcement programs. You will also participate in the daily operation of Viacom’s online content protection program.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- You will facilitate and maintain consumer products, mobile app, games, and ancillary content protection workflows and protocols.
- You will contribute to linear and digital enforcement program workflows/operations.
- You will research and engage with outside vendors related to consumer products and app enforcement.
- You will lead the facilitation of vendor trial negotiations.
- Conduct search and removal of Viacom intellectual property using Viacom content protection tools.
- Draft cease and desist notices.
- Utilize your analytical skills to assist with statistical compilation.
- Assist with special projects.
- Partner as a subject matter expert to provide internal training sessions to business teams.
- Act as a representative and liaison with trade associations and attend industry meetings.
- JD from an accredited law school and a member in good standing of the New York Bar.
- Minimum 3 years of relevant experience. Direct anti-piracy and/or intellectual property litigation and/or entertainment legal experience preferred but not required.
- Familiar with anti-piracy issues and online platforms and technology.
- Knowledge of social media sites including Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, and their functions.
- Knowledge of copyright, trademark, fair use and the DMCA.
- Very strong internet acumen and ability to understand internet terms, web functions and technology.
- Ability to translate a legal position into an appropriate course of action.
- Direct experience with YouTube and familiarity with YouTube content identification and management technologies preferred but not required.
- Good interpersonal skills, excellent judgment and the ability to prioritize.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Comfortable working independently in a dynamic environment.