Satcom Direct (SD) offers world-class global communications services, support, and technology to business and general aviation, military, government, emergency response, media, and others who depend on reliable, global communications. We support customers via locations around the globe including our world headquarters and network operations center (NOC) located in beautiful Melbourne, Florida. This position will be located in our Herndon, VA location.
Our company culture is based on innovation and creativity which allows our team members to thrive in a lively and dynamic atmosphere. We offer our employees a dynamic environment with an excellent benefits package including health and dental insurance, 401(k) retirement plan and highly competitive compensation. SD hires team players with a high level of professionalism that demonstrate a positive attitude and an overall willingness to get the job done. We are looking for people who are passionate about customer satisfaction and who excel in a rapidly changing technology environment.
This position reports directly to the General Counsel, and is primarily responsible for managing legal aspects relating to regulatory and compliance of the enterprise military and government lines of business. The AGC-MILGOV will be responsible for day-to-day handling of legal matters arising at business units headquartered in Virginia, with a focus on government contracting and trade compliance, all in furtherance of the enterprise’s global business portfolio.
- Provide timely, accurate and practical legal advice and counseling to the organization with discretion and judgment.
- Provide support for regulatory compliance for core business matters, and in particular with respect to FCC licensing, USF fees and trade compliance.
- Assist where requested to evaluate, assess, provide recommendations, and manage business transactions to avoid legal risk.
- Responsible for coordinating with General Counsel on research, requirements, and recommendations for organization goals and objectives.
- Collaborate with General Counsel from time to time as requested on projects for other business units.
- Lead and provide guidance to team members for day-to-day business unit goals.
- Demonstrate growth through training, education and thought leadership (e.g., presentations, publications, etc.).
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
General Qualifications, Experience & Knowledge
- 7-10+ years full-time legal experience in some or all of the following substantive areas: international trade compliance; FCC regulation of the telecom industry; FCC licensing; satellite communications; government contracting; commercial contracting.
- 7-10+ years full-time experience as in-house counsel, partner track in a substantial law firm’s transactional practice, or as transactional counsel for a U.S. government agency.
- Must be able to draft, negotiate, and understand complex contracts and agreements.
- Must have a demonstrated record of communicating complex legal issues effectively and succinctly for resolution by senior decision-makers.
- Must have a demonstrated record of achieving successful results while working independently or with minimal supervision.
- Proficient computer skills with knowledge of MS Office; ability to learn all necessary company software systems.
- While not required, the following experience is preferred:
- Military experience, particularly with respect to acquisitions.
- Satellite communications, IT networking and/or telecom industry experience.
- Aviation industry experience
Education & Skills
- Graduate of an ABA accredited law school.
- Either admitted to the Virginia state bar or otherwise authorized to practice law in Virginia as in-house counsel.
- Must have a high degree of creativity, flexibility and ability to solve complex multi-faceted legal problems.
- Must possess demonstrably high standards of professionalism, integrity, honesty, confidentiality, and ethics.
- Ability to follow, to lead and to direct the work of others collaboratively, professionally and tactfully.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to handle pressures of high workload, fast-paced and dynamic workplace while remaining diplomatic.
- Possess the ability to prioritize work, multi-task and exercise time management.
SD is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to hiring the most qualified candidates for approved company positions, without preference to any individual on the basis of race, color, age, religion, gender, sexual orientation, disability, or national origin. Our policy is to engage in recruitment and selection practices that are in compliance with all applicable federal and state employment laws. SD and its businesses follow talent acquisition practices that identify qualified and diverse candidates, promote opportunities for employee development, and provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees.