Purpose of the position:
This role provides legal advice, guidance and support to ensure that the company's exposure to legal risk domestically and internationally is managed. Identifies, formulates, coordinates and communicates policies, procedures and controls to ensure that designated domestic and regional risk exposure is effectively managed. Under the guidance of the General Counsel the Associate Legal Counsel performs complex legal assignments and provides legal support, counseling and representation in the designated areas.
Position Description Summary:
Responsible for the support of legal, regulatory and insurance/risk management matters for the HM.CLAUSE AMPA (Americas & Pacific) region. Provide a high quality of legal and risk management service to all levels of management within the organization. Support business objectives through legal input, compliance and business counsel for decision-making and operational activities. Supports representation of HM.CLAUSE AMPA in legal matters; communicate and coordinate with the HM.CLAUSE EMEA legal team, Group Limagrain, and members of the Limagrain Legal Network.
Essential duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Supports the General Counsel in a broad range of legal areas, including but not limited to contracts, product performance liability, licensing, intellectual property, sales distribution, antitrust, human resources, real estate, corporate law, litigation management, dispute resolution and insurance/risk management, in both US and foreign subsidiary operations within the AMPA region
- Provides advice to members of senior management of the company and its subsidiaries and affiliates on corporate legal issues and business matters.
- Provides counsel and conducts training of internal business partners in areas of product-performance liability, intellectual property management and protection, corporate responsibility, and labor and employment matters, among others.
- Supports the placement of multiple lines of insurance for the company, its subsidiaries and affiliated entities.
- Supports the management and monitoring of insurance claims under different lines of insurance.
- Provides counsel on HR matters and assists with U.S. employment issues and/or potential litigation.
- Advises business functions by ensuring that commercially sensitive, pragmatic and practical legal support and advice is provided in a cost-effective manner.
- Implements policies to ensure that the company's exposure to legal risks is managed and mitigated appropriately.
- Participates and collaborates in key planning sessions for organizational change and re-structuring.
- Educates and counsels management and employees, both formally and informally as necessary.
- Participates in and contributes to industry events and efforts, such as ASTA, SIPA or other trade associations.
- Participates in the definition and development of corporate policies, procedure
- To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
- Juris Doctor Degree and a member in good standing of the State Bar of California.
- Minimum 5 years of progressive experience in the practice of law as a corporate lawyer or in a law firm. MBA a plus.
- Outstanding written and verbal English proficiency.
- Spanish and/or Portuguese language proficiency a plus.