The BMW Group Legal Department Corporate Counsel is primarily responsible for providing expert, comprehensive legal advice for the BMW Group and its companies, officers, directors, management, and employees on business critical, strategic, high risk and exposure, regulatory, compliance, public policy, and day-to-day matters. They are expected to perform as much legal work as possible in-house, control legal costs, and manage and direct law firms, experts, legislative counsel, lobbyists, vendors, suppliers, Alternate Dispute Resolution providers, and other third parties in handling BMW Group legal affairs.
The ideal candidate will handle dealer and distribution matters for Rolls-Royce Motor Cars and BMW motorcycles and antitrust, corporate sales, fleet, used vehicle, mobility services, alternative fuel and power source, and transaction matters. Responsibilities include enabling the respective businesses to operate and continue to succeed in a legally compliant manner and reduce the BMW Group’s legal exposure.
The ideal candidate will work in conjunction with business colleagues at BMW of North America, LLC, Rolls-Royce Motor Cars NA, LLC, BMW Financial Services NA, LLC, and other BMW Group companies as a BMW Group lawyer to use their expertise to provide legal advice and will perform research, draft documents, handle contracts and negotiations, resolve disputes, provide training, and manage outside counsel.
The BMW Group Legal Department Corporate Counsel position is located in Woodcliff Lake, New Jersey
Qualifications and experience
Minimum Requirements: :
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
- Juris Doctor degree from an accredited law school
- A member of the bar association in at least one jurisdiction in the US
- Licensed to practice law in New Jersey (this could include obtaining a license to practice in-house based on being a member of the bar of a state outside of New Jersey)
- 5 years of legal experience
- Must be able to use Microsoft Office, Lexis/Nexis, and Westlaw
- Must be able to travel overnight as necessary
- Dealer agreement and/or franchise experience is desired, but not required
- Antitrust experience is desired, but not required
- Prior legal experience with another motor vehicle distributor or manufacturer is desired, but not required
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent negotiation skills