We’re looking for a talented lawyer to support Amazon Prime Air, our drone delivery program. Amazon Prime Air is working on creating a safe, automated system that will deliver packages to our customers in 30 minutes or less via drone. You’ll be embedded with the Prime Air team, partnering directly with the business as they design, develop, and implement our drone delivery strategy. You will serve as counsel on the development and deployment of unmanned aircraft system solutions, including advice on commercial agreements, software development, licensing, intellectual property, supply chain, regulatory compliance, and resolving issues that arise in relationships with our contract manufacturers, suppliers, and government authorities. You’ll help develop strategies for handling legal issues in creative, business-centric ways and build processes that address risk and allow the business flexibility and freedom to move quickly. The successful candidate must be enthusiastic about technology, enjoy being continually challenged, and demonstrate sound judgment even in ambiguous situations.
The position is based at our headquarters in Seattle. Some travel may be required. Competitive salary includes equity.
Export Control License: This position may require a deemed export control license for compliance with applicable laws and regulations. Placement is contingent on Amazon’s ability to apply for and obtain an export control license on your behalf.
- 5+ years of legal experience (with at two years at a law firm)
- Juris doctor, strong academic credentials, and membership in at least one state bar
- A mix of law firm and in-house experience focused on technology transactions and IP counseling/licensing
- Experience working in the aviation industry
- Working knowledge of aviation, export control, and privacy laws
- Experience negotiating with academic institutions and government entities
- Engineering background or demonstrated ability to quickly learn new technology
- Excellent organizational skills, ability to manage multiple projects at once, follow through, and meet deadlines
- Ability to work independently while being able to contribute successfully to cross-functional teams
- Ability to build rapport with and earn trust of business partners
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Strong analytical and computer skills
- Common sense, great judgment, and a good sense of humor