Abbott is a global healthcare leader that helps people live more fully at all stages of life. Our portfolio of life-changing technologies spans the spectrum of healthcare, with leading businesses and products in diagnostics, medical devices, nutritionals and branded generic medicines. Our 103,000 colleagues serve people in more than 160 countries.
The successful candidate will possess a demonstrated expertise in litigation, including trial, motion practice, courtroom, deposition, arbitration/mediation, pleadings, legal research, and developing litigation strategy experience. Experience in antitrust, regulatory agency and/or government proceedings is desirable, but not required.
Core job responsibilities include:
- Developing successful strategies for moderately complex business litigation, including creative approaches to dispute resolution;
- With minimal supervision, selecting, supervising and Directing outside counsel in routine and complex litigation; including developing and maintaining case budgets; and
- Advise business leaders [at highest levels of management] on legal issues, litigation strategy and dispute resolution, and collaborate with leaders to drive desired outcomes most beneficial to the business.
Critical Success Factors:
- Good Judgment: Demonstrate expertise and sound judgment, understand how assigned responsibilities support Abbott’s business objectives, and be able to provide practical, risk-balanced advice based upon a thorough understanding of the scope of an issue, taking full advantage of internal networks and external intelligence.
- Collaboration: Firm understanding of available legal, functional, and business resources and ability to integrate information from a number of sources to achieve business results, including breaking down boundaries to create alignment as necessary, in a complex, global, matrixed environment.
- Anticipation: Holistic, big picture thinker, who anticipates changes in law, enforcement, and/or business objectives and adapts approach as necessary to manage risks effectively and mitigate issues before they arise.
- Influencing Skills: Build strong relationships with business partners to tactfully influence and gain their support to drive desired outcomes. Represent Abbott externally to [customers, suppliers, competitors, trade associations or government agencies]; and [resolve legal issues using negotiation skills and legal expertise/engage in external influencing efforts].
- Possess a Juris Doctor degree from an accredited law school, demonstrate a strong academic background, and be admitted to a US state bar in good standing.
- Must have a minimum of 4 years of experience in Litigation.
- Ability to handle multiple projects in fast-paced environment and exercise sound commercial and legal judgment
- In addition to top-notch legal skills and a strong ethical center, excellent interpersonal, strategic thinking, communication and organizational skills