Deloitte leads with purpose, solving complex issues for our clients and communities. Across disciplines and across borders, Deloitte Global supports our network of member firms by developing and driving global strategy, programs, and platforms, and creating new solutions and transformational experiences. Our people share a passion for igniting change and a strong service orientation that shapes our organization and those it supports.
The Counsel – Regulatory is primarily an internal advisory role and also involves interfacing externally with professional regulators and outside policy makers. It requires a high level of discretion and responsibility on matters throughout the Deloitte network. This function must build relationships with DTTL and Member Firm leaders to provide trusted counsel and guidance in confronting complex legal/regulatory challenges including: regulatory initiatives, regulatory requirements, regulatory actions impacting Member Firms and the Deloitte network, and regulatory dialogue and communications, particularly in the audit/financial services regulatory space. The Counsel – Regulatory also provides counsel to DTTL and Member Firm leaders in the areas of anti-trust/competition law, anti-corruption, and AML/sanctions compliance.
Work you’ll do:
Role Specific Responsibilities
- The Counsel – Regulatory provides critical assistance and guidance to Member Firm and DTTL leaders in responding to regulatory inquiries, investigations and proceedings; regulatory and legislative initiatives impacting the profession; coordinating multi-jurisdictional regulatory matters; and meeting audit oversight requirements including related to registration, annual and periodic reporting, inspection, and cooperation.
- The Counsel – Regulatory provides guidance and counsel to Member Firm and DTTL leaders in the areas of anti-trust/competition law, anti-corruption, and AML/sanctions compliance.
- The Counsel – Regulatory role requires significant leadership in developing creative legal thinking and solutions to cross-border challenges while successfully navigating the regulatory landscape.
- The Counsel – Regulatory must be an excellent cross-cultural communicator who can use appropriate (and varied) interpersonal skills with Member Firm leaders to provide legal and strategic counsel and guidance.
- The nature of this advisory and counselor role in combination with the DTTL and Member Firm structures means that this role has no direct reports. Nevertheless, the Counsel – Regulatory works directly with various levels of Deloitte personnel and contributes to people development across the Deloitte network by helping general counsel and risk/regulatory leaders in the Member Firms to think creatively in developing legal solutions to regulatory challenges and in putting those solutions into practice, and to establishing positive relationships with regulators both within and outside the jurisdiction.
What you’ll be part of—our Deloitte Global culture:
- At Deloitte, we expect results. Incredible—tangible—results. And Deloitte Global professionals play a unique role in delivering those results. We reach across disciplines and borders to serve our global organization. We are the engine of Deloitte. We develop and lead global strategies and provide programs and services that unite our network.
- In Deloitte Global, everyone has an opportunity to lead. We see the importance of your perspective and your ability to create value. We want you to fit in—with an inclusive culture, focus on work-life fit and well-being, and a supportive, connected environment; but we also want you to stand out—with opportunities to have a strategic impact, innovate, and take the risks necessary to make your mark.
- Deloitte Global supports our talented professionals in answering the question: What impact will you make?
How you’ll grow:
- Deloitte Global inspires leaders at every level. We believe in investing in you, helping you embrace leadership opportunities at every step of your career, and helping you identify and hone your unique strengths. We encourage you to grow by providing formal and informal development programs, coaching and mentoring, and on-the-job challenges. We want you to ask questions, take chances, and explore the possible.
- mEducation: Requires a JD and current bar admission
- Years of Experience: 2-5+ years as a practicing lawyer
- The ideal candidate for this role will have experience at a major law firm or professional services firm as an advisor on legal and policy matters. Experience in the public sector as a regulator would also be a plus.
- The ideal candidate for this role will have experience with PCAOB and/or SEC regulation, including from the investigatory, litigation/enforcement, and policy perspectives. In addition, experience with anti-trust competition law and/or anti-corruption/AML/sanctions compliance would be beneficial.
Cross-border experience and foreign language skills are also a plus for this role.