The Deputy General Counsel (DGC) provides legal advice and counsel. The DGC is a generalist with (i) a focus on commercial transactions and (ii) expertise in compliance. This position provides legal advice in the areas of contract negotiation and drafting, product safety regulation and product liability defense, insurance and risk management, real estate, and general corporate governance.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Own the legal compliance function, with a specific focus on product integrity, risk, regulatory reporting and interaction with associated safety commissions domestic and abroad;
- Provide advice and guidance on the resolution of contract disputes, regulatory investigations, product liability complaints and other adversarial matters;
- Draft, review and support the negotiation of commercial agreements, including purchase and international distribution of goods, engagement of service providers, employment and severance,
- Manage global property, casualty and worker’s compensation insurance programs and associated claims
- Develop corporate policies to ensure compliance with international government regulations; respond to government inquiries regarding same
- Coordinate negotiation and administration of real estate leases and renewals
- Develop and implement processes and procedures to ensure efficient and consistent conduct of company business
- Maintain books and records for company and its affiliated legal entities
- Work with outside counsel to develop project scope and fee estimates; review work product and invoices for accuracy
- Provide training to company and its affiliated legal entities on substantive legal topics
- Manage projects delegated to paralegals and other department staff
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- 10+ years of experience required in either a law firm or in-house setting. Experience with consumer products and/or retailer industry preferred.
- Regulatory expertise with safety commissions (i.e. CPSC, Health Canada, etc.)
- International experience working across jurisdictions on compliance, commercial, and risk
- Commercial negotiation experience, including international deals, including joint ventures, complex licenses, retailer, manufacturer and vendor contracts;
- 5+ years of leadership and management experience
- Ability to execute and excel in high-paced organization
- Prior experience in building global relationships and a collaborative team environment
- Ability to deal with changing environments, tight timelines and multiple priorities
- Outstanding oral and presentation-based communication skills
Education and Skills:
- Juris Doctor from ABA approved law school.
- Should be able to function with a high degree of efficiency and independence.
- Ability to conduct legal research, analyze information and solve problems. The individual must be able to maintain the highest level of confidentiality and professional demeanor, work well under pressure, and have a strong work ethic and an appropriate sense of urgency.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
License to practice law in the State of Georgia
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by a team member to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the team member is regularly required to sit; have flexible use of hands; and talk or hear. The team member is occasionally required to stand, walk, and reach with hands and arms. The team member must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, and color vision.
General office environment
We offer competitive pay, flexible hours, and generous benefits. Plus, to keep things fun (because we are all kids at heart), we offer a host of team member activities and philanthropic efforts throughout the year and company-wide awards and recognition for a job well done!
Check out our website at www.kidsii.com and our social media pages on LinkedIn, Facebook and Instagram for more information and open positions in the career section.