Minnesota Adult & Teen Challenge, a leader in offering treatment programs to those battling addiction, is seeking a dynamic individual to fill our opening for a Temporary (1 year role) Legal Clinic Law Clerk.
Our mission is to assist teens and adults in gaining freedom from chemical addictions and other life controlling problems by addressing their physical, emotional and spiritual needs. When you work for MnTC, you're not merely filling a job. You're actively participating in a mission that is alive with purpose! You get the opportunity to see lives, families and dire circumstances transformed. You get to see hope take center stage and come to reality. Imagine ending the work day knowing that what you've done is meaningful, significant and rewarding.
1-Year Position (covered by grant), Part-Time (25 hrs/week), Salaried
Summary: This position supports volunteer attorneys in providing legal advice and services to MnTC clients and the on-site Legal Liaison. The Law Clerk supports attorneys by assembling and organizing information for legal documents; researching statute and case law; assisting clients in completion of legal documents
Reports to: Long-Term Legal Liaison
Essential duties and responsibilities:
- Determine appropriate paperwork to provide client and assist with completion of the documents if necessary;
- Review completed client paperwork for accuracy;
- Prepare clients for meeting with attorneys;
- Research client records and provide print-outs for attorney review:
- Outstanding fines
- Pull credit reports and prepare summary for expungement eligibility;
- Create and maintain resources such as handbooks, contact lists, pamphlets, etc.
- Perform client intake and screenings for appropriate legal issues
- 40% - Meeting with clients individually to discuss their legal situations, offering guidance and next-steps.
- 30% - Researching legal resources to be made available to the clients. These could be from helpful legal articles to law guides, steps for converting fines to community service hours.
- 10% - Attending the Legal Clinic and helping with on-the-spot matters alongside the Legal Liaison and volunteer attorneys.
- 20% - Putting together documentation and summaries for volunteer attorneys regarding clients and their legal situations
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
- Understanding of the Courts System and Client Confidentiality
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Administrative/Legal Writing proficiency, Drafting Experience preferred
- Microsoft Office Skills
- Legal Research Skills (Lexis and Westlaw, Shepardizing, MN Courts Site)
- Time Management and Task Prioritizing Skills
- Working knowledge of Administrative Law in MN. Additional knowledge of Criminal Law, Family Law, or Child Protection Law in MN preferred.
Needs to be able to sit or stand for long periods of time and lift up to 20 lbs.
Second-year law student equivalency or paralegal experience