AAA…we're one of the largest Membership organizations in the country, but we’re so much more than our legendary roadside service. We call our club's vision, mission, values, and supporting pillars "Our House" because they are the foundation for all that we do. We're working to transform AAA for the next century with a mission to create Members for life by unleashing the innovative spirit of our Team Members. We're community minded, and celebrate the growth, development and successes of our diverse Team Members. Whether you’re just starting your journey or looking to grow your career, we’ll support you every step of the way.
Our Legal Counsel serves as counsel to management on corporate issues related to business functions and employees. Provides legal advice, and prepares and reviews contracts and other legal documents. Specializes in one or more of the following areas of legal expertise: contracts, intellectual property, litigation, marketing, insurance, employment, real estate, ERISA, benefits, software licensing, workers compensation, corporate governance, privacy, sales and secured transactions and mergers and acquisitions. Performs under limited supervision. Functions as subject matter expert for area of expertise.
- Provides advice and counsel on legal issues impacting the Company's operations and business.
- Engages and manages outside counsel within area of responsibility in a cost-effective manner.
- Drafts, reviews, advises and negotiates contracts, policies, procedures and other legal documents with a higher degree of complexity.
- Initiates and leads cross-divisional and enterprise projects. Interacts and influences business to help drive business results.
- Directs and oversees the work of legal secretaries and paralegals when applicable. Mentors and trains more junior attorneys and paralegals.
- Performs special projects (substantive, administrative and practice management) for the legal department, including those involving a higher degree of complexity, business impact or financial or personnel resources.
- Develops and/or conducts training programs for supervisors, managers and/or employees.
- Substantial knowledge of current law and issues within area of specialty.
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing in an organized, effective and timely manner.
- Computer skills, MS Office, online research tools such as WESTLAW.
- Ability to work in an organized, efficient manner.
Education & Experience / Licenses & Certification
- BA/BS - Bachelor's degree in related area or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- J.D. from accredited law school.
- MBA from accredited college/university a plus.
- California State Bar license in good standing.
- 5+ years’ experience advising clients in a major law firm or an in-house law department, including advising on complex legal matters.