Job Description Summary:
PayPal is one of the leading global payments companies in the world. PayPal’s innovative technology and approaches to payments, coupled with an increasingly complex and demanding legal and regulatory environment, provide robust career opportunities for attorneys motivated and driven by creative clients and a fast paced, cutting edge culture.
PayPal is seeking a high caliber and energetic First Year Law Student to join our 2019 Summer Internship Program. In this role, you will have the opportunity to work across a variety of legal issues, potentially including privacy and data security, commercial and contracting, product review, financial and consumer regulatory, intellectual property, corporate governance and M&A. The duration of our 2019 Summer Internship Program is anticipated to be approximately 8 weeks, (May 28 – July 26, 2019). Participants are paid a competitive salary. Housing is not provided and travel costs are the responsibility of the candidate.
Following your summer experience, you should expect to have an awareness of the complexities and challenges of working within the in-house legal department of a global organization. You will assist on a variety of projects and tasks, and should generally be flexible and available to assist with day-to-day activities across the legal department. The ideal candidate will be able to work semi-independently in a fast-paced environment. Law students with prior experience in technology or financial services are encouraged to apply. Your summer experience may include:
- Supporting our Corporate legal team, including transactional work, securities law, corporate governance, benefits, compliance, privacy and competition matters;
- Supporting our Product Legal team with the review of product user experiences and product proposals to ensure legal compliance and proper disclosures, guidance on the design and modification of products, proactively identifying associated risks and recommend mitigation strategies;
- Privacy and regulatory legal research and project management;
- Reviewing marketing materials to be published through various channels including web, mobile and social media to ensure compliance with applicable law;
- Supporting our IP Legal team, including patent and trademark related legal analysis;
- Supporting our Litigation team, including research projects and assisting with discovery and litigation analysis;
- Assisting with cross-organization initiatives to improve the legal teams effectiveness in advising the business, including creating policies and templates; and
- Supporting our Commercial legal team, including drafting and negotiation of agreements, such as merchant services agreements and strategic supplier agreements.
PayPal’s intern program is not designed to place interns within the organization after the internship is over. However, we believe the experience will make you a stronger candidate for both law firm and in-house opportunities. The intern will participate in PayPal’s corporate internship program, and will also have the opportunity to attend LCLD’s 1L Scholars Summit in Atlanta, GA June 4-6, 2019 (expenses covered).
Requirements & Eligibility:
- College Education and having successfully completed your first year of law school;
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills;
- Ability to work both in teams and independently;
- Ability to handle multiple assignments simultaneously, with effective resolution of conflicting priorities
- Strong project management skills; and
- Authorization to work in the United States for the duration of the internship.