ASCO is a stable, forward-thinking membership organization that operates in a results-oriented work environment in which employees’ evaluation emphasizes performance outcomes over presence or time. This is an Alexandria, VA based internship. To learn what it’s like to work at ASCO, click here.
Who we are looking for:
The Summer Legal Intern will report to ASCO’s Senior Counsel and provide support with various legal matters concerning non-profit law, intellectual property, commercial transactions, and health law. The intern will gain exposure to the in-house legal environment, develop drafting skills, hone research skills, improve targeted communication skills, and increase appreciation for risk analysis in the legal setting. The Summer Legal Intern will also have the opportunity to participate in legal team meetings, shadow the members of ASCO’s legal team, and attend individual meetings with attorneys to build basic skills sets, such as HIPAA, NDAs and business law.
Day-to-day activities include:
- Research on discrete legal matters and preparation of formal and informal memoranda summarizing findings
- Review of legal provisions in contracts and preparation of comparative analyses
- Assistance with compliance project concerning non-disclosure agreements and contracting data fidelity
- Drafting legal documents from templates (ex: Cease and Desist, Amendments)
- Other duties assigned based on skill set of intern and prior experience with subject matter areas
- Current 1L law school student of an ABA accredited school with at least one year of completion
- Possess a minimum 3.3 GPA and provide a transcript with submission
- Excellent attention to detail
- Ability to review, interpret and synthesize legal matters
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and a positive attitude
- Willingness to work on a broad variety of legal matters
- Strong analytical and organizational skills
- Strong research skills
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- A strong sense of integrity
- Solid business acumen and sound judgment
- A pro-active, customer-oriented approach to the practice of law
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment and prioritize work flow in an environment of competing objectives.
Duration: 10 weeks during the summer – June 10, 2019 to August 16, 2019. Start and end dates can be customized based on the intern’s class schedule. This internship is 37.5 hours per week with flexibility.
Compensation: This summer internship position is paid. Additionally, ASCO will provide parking or a metro subsidy to the successful candidate.
Location: This internship is based in Alexandria, VA and will require working onsite. Candidates should reside in the D.C. metro area or be able to relocate at their own expense. If you are not able to work at ASCO HQ, please do not apply.