The Public Benefits and General Services (PBGS) Unit attorneys work on a variety of cases, ranging from Social Security retirement, disability, overpayments and hearings, Medicare, and Medicaid, (including cases before the Office of Administrative Hearings), VA benefit claims for Pension and VA debt relief, utility scams, tax debt, and language access issues affecting access to these benefits and other resources. The unit is also in charge of Latino Outreach for the office through a grant from the Mayor’s Office on Latino Affairs.
Because of the high volume of cases, interns have the opportunity to assist attorneys with direct client work to expand our capacity. Interns and externs work closely with attorneys and are responsible for client interviews, research, drafting letters, memos and pleadings, investigation, hearing preparation, and third party communication with government agencies, social workers and physicians. There are also opportunities to go to court and participate in community outreach.
- Interns must be currently enrolled in a degreed program at an accredited law school in good academic standing and must be considered rising second or third year law students.
- Spanish-language skills are preferred but not required.
- Instructions for Uploading Your Documents
- Attach your resume as part of the online application
- Click the SUBMIT button at the end of the application
- Select VIEW SUBMITTED APPLICATION
- Select the MY ACTIVITIES
- Select “Add Attachment” under the section labeled COVER LETTERS & ATTACHMENTS
- Select the Attachment Type and list the Attachment Title
- Select Upload your document
- Select Save
- If uploading multiple documents, repeat steps 5-8