Draws up complex contracts involving leases, licenses, purchases, sales, real estate, employment, insurance and other matters. Studies, statutes, decisions and ordinances of judicial bodies. Examines legal data to determine advisability of defending lawsuits. May act as an agent of the Company in various transactions. May provide functional advice or training to less experienced attorneys.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Manages and works across a broad spectrum of litigation and alternative dispute resolution.
- Drafts and reviews pleadings and motions involving a variety of legal issues.
- Assists with the preparation of discovery and responses to discovery, including the gathering of relevant information and documents.
- Conducts legal research.
- Serves as liaison between business partners and outside counsel.
- Oversees work of Legal Assistants and works effectively as part of a team.
- Negotiates and reviews insurance policies.
- Manages domestic and global insured claims.
- Identifies, analyzes and counters various business risks.
- Provides complex professional legal assistance, advice and counsel to corporate management regarding legal rights, obligations and privileges of corporations to enhance the internal decision-making process and to ensure adequate protection of the Company’s legal rights, interests and objectives.
- Ensures corporate management and operating objectives are protected and in compliance with applicable laws, rules, regulations and other legal requirements through involvement in various aspects of legal compliance, interpretation and counseling. Maintains compliance with laws and regulations enforced by various federal, state and local regulatory agencies and recommends related policies, strategies, procedures, etc.
- Provides effective coordination and administration of activities of outside retained counsel to achieve favorable results while controlling costs.
- May attend sales force conferences to assist the sales force in answering questions regarding Company policy, legal aspects of the marketing plan or other legal issues.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
Education: Bachelor’s degree and law degrees (LL.M or J.D.) and admission to the State Bar of Texas or the ability to become admitted upon application, and willingness to apply for admission, to the State Bar of Texas and admission to practice.
Experience: 5 years of legal and/or litigation experience with a variety of litigation matters from initial case development through discovery phase.
- Requires excellent interpersonal and communication skills, tact, diplomacy and a high level of professionalism to interface with outside and opposing counsel, all levels of management, independent sales force and government officials.
- Must possess sound decision-making skills as well as excellent organizational and analytical skills and the ability to handle tense situations head-on.
- Must have strong negotiation skills to set up legal transactions/settlements and ensure the Company’s interests are represented. Arbitration and counseling skills are required to resolve issues, advise others and settle claims.
- Excellent oral communication skills are required to effectively interact with both internal and external contacts, coordinate legal activities and formulate contracts and policy recommendations.
- Strong written communication skills required to draft documents, make recommendations and communicate with both internal and external customers.
- The ability to multi-task and a sense of urgency and timeliness is required.