Catholic Charities Atlanta is seeking an attorney to work full time in our Immigration Legal Services program. The candidate must be admitted to the bar of the highest court of any state or territory of the United States, with a preference for membership in the Georgia Bar. Fluency in Spanish is required, as well as prior experience or coursework in immigration law. Must have the ability to work in a fast-paced and collaborative environment.
The Staff Attorney-VOCA will primarily work with immigrant survivors of crime on their immigration legal cases, with a focus on U visa applications and VAWA self-petitions. This position is grant funded and applicant will be eligible for other CCA positions if they become available after the grant funding has ended.
The general responsibilities of this position include the responsibilities shared by all employees of Catholic Charities Atlanta (separate document)
Responsible for the accurate and confidential maintenance of client files, records and statistics.
Responsible for participating in outreach activities and agency-wide events.
Work well with volunteers and make them feel part of the team.
Responsible for adhering to all pertinent agency/program policies and procedures.
All other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the Sr. Program Director and/or Executive Staff.
- Responsible for intake and counseling for potential clients, and completing and filing all appropriate applications for clients.
- Conducting legal research to determine the appropriate course of action for potential clients.
- One day a week is spent doing immigration consultation and evaluating new potential clients to determine whether they have an immigration relief.
- One day a week is spent traveling to Stewart Detention Center in Lumpkin, GA and providing legal orientation to detainees.
- Monitoring changes in immigration law and implement them in giving advice to clients.
- Maintaining professional standards of competence through training and study.
This position does not provide supervision to other program staff, but to students and volunteers as assigned.
Accountability: Reports to the Senior Staff Attorney.