Laureate Education, Inc. (NASDAQ:LAUR) is a leading provider of post-secondary education on an international scale. Laureate offers high-quality undergraduate, graduate, and specialized degree programs in a wide range of academic disciplines that result in strong employment and social mobility outcomes for its students. The Company is dedicated to being a movement for change in the higher education industry and the communities that it serves, with a focus on preparing its students to engage with and positively contribute to their communities and to the world. Laureate is one of the largest Public Benefit Corporations (PBC), a new class of corporation committed to creating a positive impact on society. The Company became the first PBC to go public on any stock exchange in the world when it publicly listed on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange in 2017.
Laureate embraces three main operating principles: collaboration, outcomes, and innovation. These core principles are central to how we operate. Equally important are our people. Laureate is committed to fostering authentic and empathic leaders that will create a positively energized work environment and unleash the best in our employees. For more information, visit www.laureate.net.
The Chief Ethics and Compliance Officer develops and implements strategies to manage and monitor internal and external risks by improving the coordination, dissemination, and communication of compliance programs and information. The CECO not only ensures that management and employees follow the organization’s Code of Conduct, policies and procedures, but also helps build a culture of compliance within the organization. The individual will partner with other departments (Internal Audit, Finance, Legal, and Human Resources), as well as management, to implement compliance programs across the organization. This position supervises a team of six, including an Ethics & Compliance Manager and Regional Compliance Officers based in Brazil, Chile, and Mexico.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
- Provides a single point of leadership and guidance for the implementation of the organization’s ethics & compliance program.
- Establishes compliance training priorities, develops, and coordinates all related training programs, and allocates training resources efficiently.
- Chairs Laureate’s Ethics & Compliance Committee.
- Helps manager compliance risk assessment and compliance audits.
- Assesses ethics & compliance risks and develops and implements training, communication, and other controls in response.
- Maintains working knowledge of relevant changes in laws affecting the company’s operations globally, including those related to fraud and corruption.
- Manages investigations of allegations of non-compliance, which includes management of the Laureate Ethics Helpline and associated case management system.
- Manages company’s anti-corruption program, including third-party due diligence.
- Develops and periodically reviews and updates policies and procedures, including the Code of Conduct, to ensure continuing currency and relevance in providing guidance to management and employees.
- Attends and participates in meetings of the Audit Committee of the Board of Directors. Develops an annual ethics and compliance plan for approval by the Audit Committee. Prepares other presentation materials for Committee meetings and the full Board.
- Prepares reports on ethics and compliance activities for senior management and the Audit Committee.
- Benchmarks the organization’s programs to ensure best practices in critical areas.
- Periodically travels overseas for training and meetings with management and Ethics and Compliance personnel.
Other duties and responsibilities
May perform other duties and responsibilities management may deem necessary from time to time.
Technical, managerial, and people skills required
To perform this job successfully an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Incumbents will be evaluated, in part, based on performance of each essential function. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Education and experience:
- Juris Doctorate or other graduate degree in compliance related field.
- 10 years relevant experience working on matters involving ethics, compliance, or other legal matters, and working with board of directors and senior-most management.
- Sound judgement and decision-making ability, with the utmost integrity.
- Ability to effectively relate to senior management and board members regarding difficult and complex issues.
- Experience delivering presentations to senior management and board members.
- Excellent written/verbal communication skills and strong organization and attention to detail.
- Experience developing, implementing, and managing diverse projects and implementing strategic program goals.
- Excellent collaboration, communications, public speaking and presentation skills.
- Work effectively in high-tension situations and maintains composure under pressure. Diffuses high-tension situations comfortably.
- Willingness to travel 30% of time, sometimes to remote locations.
- Multi-lingual skills, including Spanish, and multi-cultural experience preferred.
- Experience working in a diverse culture in a complex work environment.
- Experience working in a large multi-national organization.
- Experience designing and implementing training.
- Experience managing to budget.